Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done - Roger Ebert's Journal

Some weeks there is so much going on that I can't find the mental clarity to write about any one aspect of our life with autism. I have plenty of draft posts lingering, waiting for a burst of inspiration to be finalised. But for now, meh!

A while back I read the below piece and was deeply moved. It reminded me of the importance in being  thankful for the good we have in our lives, rather than being hyper focussed on the aspects for which we are not grateful. Particularly,  friends. I find myself in an interesting phase at present. Of bidding goodbye to some faded friendships, whilst simultaneously welcoming new ones. The emerging relationships hold promise of a future that will provide a mutual source of support as we watch our autistic and NT kids grow. There are some things only a parent of a child with autism can 'get'. And if you are fortunate to find good people who share that journey, you are lucky.  I'm not the easiest person to befriend, and consequently hold dear the wonderful people I have in my life. I wish the same for all who read this.

O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done - Roger Ebert's Journal

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Roger Ebert's post, it is really beautiful and puts many things into perspective. I admit having the tendency to be bogged down by all the unpleasant things in life, and this is a well-needed reminder.

    Incidently, "O Captain! My Captain!" is the first line of a poem I had to read in high school. It was about Abraham Lincoln, written upon hearing of his assassination. Sadly, my first association is not Mr. Lincoln but the movie Dead Poets Society.
    (and thus endeth my tangent...)

    Blessed to have met you here in cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful isn't it. Oh to have a way with words like that. To be able to express yourself in a manner that makes people want to hear and understand your perpective. Quite the gift.
      BTW - I like your tangents :)

      Delete